Fiona Power started off as Fiona McHugh and studied at Sligo IT from 1984 to 1988 – one year of Visual Education and three years of Fine Art, majoring in Painting, Photography and Print.
Fiona was a founder-member of the Pigeon Loft Studios in Sligo and a member of the Backwater Artists Groups when she lived in Cork city. She now paints under her married name from her home in Durrus, West Cork, where she lives with her family.
Like Henri Martin 100 years ago, Fiona’s work seeks not to make any bold political statements but to find beauty in everyday life, to venerate it and to show it to the world to the best of her ability.
In her earlier years, Fiona’s unique and emotional treatment of atmospheric seas and landscapes became one of the defining characteristic of her work, capturing the ever-evolving skies and seas of the north-west in her paintings.
Throughout it all, Fiona’s work has always featured the recurring theme of capturing the ever-changing light and mood of the sea.
Her current work marks a return to the broad, looser strokes, creatively using colour as a conduit to express light, atmosphere and feeling.
Fiona’s work is held in many private collections worldwide and is part of the Bank of Ireland National Collection.
– “Cois Farraige”; solo show, The Factory Gallery, Sligo (1992)
– Group show; The Model, Sligo (1992)
– “Aishling”; group show, The Pantheon Gallery, Dublin (1993)
– “Iontas”; Sligo Art Gallery, Sligo (1993)
– Limerick School Project; Limerick (1993)
– “Beginnings”; three-person show, Sligo Art Gallery, Sligo Park Hotel (1993)
– “Three of a Kind”; three-person show, McCanny Gallery, Sligo (1993)
– “Art Presence”; Crawford Gallery, Cork (1993)
– Boyle Arts Festival; Boyle (1993)
– Monaghan Open Exhibition; Monaghan (1993)
– Sligo Arts Festival; solo show, Bank of Ireland (1993)
– RHA Annual Exhibition; Dublin (1994)
– Rotary Club Annual Exhibition; Dundalk (1994)
– “Sciop”; Siamsa Tíre Arts Centre, Tralee (1995)
– “West Cork Seascapes”; The Gallery, Ballydehob (1995)
– “Iontas”; Sligo, RHA Dublin & Ormeau Baths Gallery, Belfast (1995)
– Group show; Triskel Arts Centre, Cork (1995)
– Group show; The Green Gallery, Bantry (2004)
– Group show; The Lavitt Gallery, Cork (2004)
– Solo show; The Green Gallery, Bantry (2005)
– Group show; Hamilton Gallery, Sligo (2007)
– Group show; The Lavitt Gallery, Cork (2007)
– Annual Exhibition; West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen (2008)
– Group show; Radharc Gallery, Skibbereen (2008)
– Annual Exhibition; West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen (2012)
– Annual Exhibition; West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen (2013)
– Group Show; Bantry Art Gallery, Bantry (2013)
– Annual Exhibition; West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen (2014)
– Group Show; Blue House Gallery, Schull (2014)
– Group Show; The Lavit Gallery, Cork (2014)
– Cairde Visual Open Exhibition; Hyde Bridge Gallery, Sligo (2015)
– Annual Exhibition; West Cork Arts Centre, Skibbereen (2015)
– “Diverse Vision” 4-Person Show; Skibbereen Arts Festival (2015)
– Group Show; Aisling Gallery, Ballydehob (2015)
– Small Works Exhibition; The Lavit Gallery (2015)
– Christmas Group Show; The Lavit Gallery (2015)
– History Show; Blue House Gallery (2016)
– “Two of a Kind”; Aisling Gallery, Ballydehob (2016)